To: Residents of Covenant Village
From: Dale Melton, CEO
Date: December 30, 2020
Hallelujah! Amen! Thank you, God! Really? Too good to be true. I’m not quite sure. It’s about time. . .
I suspect there are a few more reactions we have to the good news that there are COVID-19 Vaccines going out in the world—and that Covenant Village will be getting ours soon!!!
Before we share those exciting details, let me update you on our current COVID Case status:
We currently have a total of seven (7) active cases! All seven are Staff. Confirmed: Currently, we have NO Resident cases. You will recall just a couple of weeks ago we had over 20 active cases, with our high being 33!
Further good news from last week, we added only one new active case—an asymptomatic Staff member in Nursing. That is the lowest new case number in over seven (7) weeks!
As we have shared all along, any positive cases, potential symptoms, or potential exposures are serious for us at Covenant Village. The health and safety of our Residents, Staff, and larger community continue to be our highest priority.
Covenant Village COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic
The CDC is reporting over 63,500 vaccinations have been given in North Carolina so far. Nursing Homes and Retirement Communities, like ours, began receiving them on Monday.
Here is what we know now and are preparing for as we move closer to the Clinic.
General Covenant Village Clinic Information:
• Walgreens is our COVID-19 Vaccine provider. They will send a Team to campus for all the Clinics, and they are responsible for the actual injections
• Covenant Village will be receiving the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine
• Our first on-campus COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic will take place on Tuesday, January 5th
o Our second on-campus Clinic will take place on Tuesday, February 2nd
o Our third on-campus Clinic will take place on Tuesday, March 2nd
• The Clinic hours are 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
o Health Center (HC) Residents and Staff will be vaccinated in the Health Center
o Independent Living (IL) Residents and non-HC Staff will be vaccinated in the Main Assembly Room
• Whether you are a Resident or Staff, you will be informed when to come to the Clinic for your vaccination
Preparations for Attending the Clinic:
• Residents and Staff should only attend the Clinic if they intend on receiving an immunization
• Residents and Staff WILL NOT be vaccinated, and SHOULD NOT attend the Clinic if: o You are feeling sick, have a fever, or are exhibiting any respiratory symptoms
o You have been diagnosed with COVID-19 within the last 2 weeks
• Everyone must wear a facemask or face covering prior to arriving for the Clinic and for the duration of the visit
• When waiting for the vaccination, participants will need to practice appropriate social distancing guidelines, maintaining at least six-feet distance from others
• Walgreens team members will assess for signs of illness which may include asking screening questions or taking temperature using touch-free digital thermometers
• If possible, participants should wear clothing that allows the immunizer to easily access the shoulder area for a more efficient vaccination process (i.e., Easy to remove layers and/or t-shirt)
Your Covenant Village Clinic Experience:
• When you arrive for the Clinic: o You will be checked in and assisted on next steps
Please bring with you, both—your completed Vaccination Administration Record Informed Consent form with your Medicare card and any supplemental Insurance card. You will not be permitted to get the vaccine without your paperwork
o You will then receive your vaccine injection by a Walgreens team member
o IL Residents and non-HC Staff will be asked to go to the Main Dining Room to sit for a mandatory 15-minute Observation Period before returning to your home or work
• Potential vaccine side effects, which should go away in a couple of days, could include: o Pain or swelling at the injection site
• Potential vaccine side effects are normal signs that your body is building protection (CDC guidance)
• After your vaccination, Walgreens and the CDC encourage all COVID-19 Vaccine participants to download the v-safe app onto your smart phone. The CDC will be able to track your vaccination experience, send you important information and updates, as well as remind you when your second dose time approaches. You will receive further information on downloading the app at the Clinic
• After you return to your home or to work, IF you believe you are having a severe anaphylactic or allergic reaction to the vaccine, PLEASE call 911!!
• After the Clinic is over, you must still continue to: o Wear a mask or face covering at all times outside your Home or with people
o Maintain a six-foot physical distance
o Wash your hands frequently and use sanitizer in between
o Use good cough etiquette
o Maintain all the good healthcare decisions you have been making
• The COVID-19 Vaccine you will be receiving is NOT an immediate cure-all. You must take the second dose 28 days later—at the second on-campus Clinic on Tuesday, February 2nd
• You cannot take the Moderna vaccine the first time and take another vaccine the next. If you start with Moderna (used at our Clinic), you must continue with Moderna
• We will keep you informed of new vaccination information, research findings, and updates as they become available, especially between the first and second Clinics.
To further assist your preparation for the first Covenant Village COVID-19 Vaccination Clinic, please visit the CDC website for valuable information and assistance on all your vaccine questions: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/index.html.
We CANNOT let our guard down. Even with this long-awaited COVID-19 Vaccine, we have a long way to go!
We will continue to provide the latest information via community memos; Covenant Conversations on the internal TV channel and Facebook; as well as on Wellzesta, our new Resident communication portal; the Covenant Village website (https://covenantvillagenc.com/); and on our Facebook page.
For those of us who may have eased off our compliance with the above infection control guidance, use this time to re-evaluate your efforts and actions on behalf of our entire Village! If you have been potentially exposed, you could be an asymptomatic carrier of the virus and could spread it to others—fellow Residents, Staff, and your Loved Ones!
We are only as good as you are and as I am. We will get through this—together! A committed community conquers COVID!!
This virus is real, and it is deadly. No one and no community are yet fully immune. You can help us all stop this menacing virus in our Village—by our diligence and vigilance!